Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Don the Dragon



I used to beat myself up about over the fact that I taught you very little before you started Kindergarten. I used to wonder what other mother's had in them that I didn't. It's true that some women and men are gifted with the ability to teach and some are not, but I don't think that's what happened here; because I tried, but I always failed.

I stopped and thought about it recently and I think I've figured it out. Mom is not a teacher. Mom has never been a teacher. Mom has never been anything but Mom to you. You were six months old when I first handed you over to someone else so I could work. Those people that came after were all teachers to you and when you got home, it was play time and fun time and dinner time and bed time. That's the way it has always been and when I've tried to veer off that route, you've been resistant because I am not your teacher, I am your Mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment