Monday, November 2, 2009

Kidapillar


Last week, you were disappointed that you weren't nominated as a "kidapillar" for the Character Counts program your school has going on. You had to listen over the loudspeaker as your friend, Nathan, was announced as the winner of a Halloween costume. You were incredibly hurt that your teachers didn't nominate you for that award and you don't normally let stuff like that bug you.

But that really bugged you. Your little voice got crackly and your eyes welled up. And that is when my heart broke and I wanted to demand an explanation from the school, even though I knew that would be completely unreasonable.

Then Friday happened and your principal, Dr. R called YOUR name at the Character Counts assembly and you got to go on stage, in front of the entire school, and receive a certificate for displaying the character trait of "Citizenship".

When you walked on stage, some lady enthusiastically shook your arm. I say arm, because in an effort to recreate the moment, you took my hand and tried to yank my arm off. Now you have a pretty certificate, a coupon for a free kids meal at Red Robin, and the confidence that you are doing well to show for it.

You are a good little citizen. You are helpful and kind and try not to do anything naughty. Sometimes I have to tell you to lighten up and be a kid and sometimes I might just go about that the wrong way. I'm saying that because I know I probably shouldn't have pretended we were leaving the Halloween block party on Saturday just because you wouldn't throw darts at balloons. That was might have been a little extreme and I promise to be a little bit kinder the next time I try to get you to do something you don't think you should be doing.

Also, thank you for never trying to stick keys in the electrical outlets and thank you for being such a phenomenal child. I am proud of you kiddo, and you should be too.

Love,

Your beaming mom

No comments:

Post a Comment